The Graduate School ( www.graduate.umaryland.edu/ ) at the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) in collaboration with Anne Arundel Community College (AACC) is seeking applicants for a 0.6-1.0 FTE Lecturer/Senior Lecturer, non-tenure track, 12-month appointment for the Physician Assistant Program. The primary responsibilities include: teaching and evaluation in the didactic year and during clinical call-back days; didactic and laboratory activities; and clinical site visits and evaluations associated with the Physician Assistant Program.
UMB Graduate School Lecturer/Senior Lecturer appointments are long-term, renewable contracts and are eligible for promotion. Rules governing such appointments are located at https://graduate.umaryland.edu/policies/ . This position is based at the Arundel Mills Regional Higher Education Center.
UMB offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
· Evaluate, develop, and amend didactic and laboratory curriculum in cooperation with the Program Director, Medical Director, curriculum committee and appropriate faculty to comply with changes in accreditation requirements, program structure and program philosophy.
· Provide classroom instruction, whether on-line or face-to-face, which includes teaching and coordination of student learning activities during the didactic and clinical phase of the program.
· Assist with the evaluation and selection of suitable resources for course work and independent study in cooperation with college library personnel.
· Supervise classroom activities including classroom scheduling, supporting the use of technology and arranging for appropriate multimedia and laboratory equipment.
· Participate in the review, recommendation, and procurement of instructional materials.
· Assist in the development of new curricula, courses, course syllabi, and outlines.
· Maintain appropriate files and records.
· Serve as an academic advisor for PA Program students.
· Assist with the preparation of ARC-PA accreditation and reaccreditations site visits.
· Participate in the student application, interview, and selection process.
· Assist in the recruitment of new students to include presentations at program information and orientation seminars.
· Recruit and network with potential part-time and honoraria faculty.
· Participate in the interview and selection process for full and part-time faculty.
· May perform clinical site visits and evaluations.
· Represent the program at national, state, local, and institutional meetings and other activities as directed.
· Engage in scholarly activity and service to the program, university, and physician assistant profession.
· Actively pursue continuing education activities as required for maintaining professional qualifications.
· Maintain clinical competency by continuing to serve as a physician assistant on a flexible basis.
· Other duties as assigned by the Program Director.
· Doctoral degree in Medicine with eligibility for Maryland licensure and completion of an accredited medical residency program in one of the following: Internal Medicine, Family Practice, Emergency Medicine, or Pediatrics.
· or a Master's prepared Physician Assistant from a regionally accredited institution with current NCCPA certification.
· Two years' experience in discipline with expertise in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, or Emergency Medicine is required.
· Strong interpersonal abilities with excellent verbal and written communication skills to effectively communicate with students, staff, faculty, preceptors, clinical site staff, and organizational administrators is required.
· Experience in healthcare and knowledge of behavioral and population health is preferred.
· Previous teaching experience in a formal physician assistant program is preferred. To be considered for the rank of Senior Lecturer, candidates must have exemplary teaching record over the course of at least six years.
· Willingness and ability to travel to clinical locations as needed. Valid Maryland driver's license is required.
· Graduates of the AACC/UMB Collaborative PA program or AACC PA Program will be given preferred consideration.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should apply online and submit the following:
· Cover letter, noting the position for which candidacy is sought
· Statement of teaching philosophy
· Statement of scholarly interests
· Signed curriculum vitae
· Three references with contact information.
Questions about this faculty opening may be directed to:
Dr. Cherilyn Hendrix
PA Program Director
AACC/UMB Collaborative Physician Assistant Program
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience.
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Human Resource Services at 410-706-2606, Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Organization: Graduate School
Job Posting: Feb 6, 2019
Internal Number: 115201
About University of Maryland, Baltimore
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) is the State's public health, law and human services university devoted to excellence in professional and graduate education, research, patient care, and public service. As a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students, and using state-of-the-art technological support, we educate leaders in health care delivery, biomedical science, global health, social work and the law. We emphasize interdisciplinary education and research in an atmosphere that explicitly values civility, diversity, collaboration, teamwork and accountability. By conducting internationally recognized research to cure disease and to improve the health, social functioning and just treatment of the people we serve, we foster economic development in the City, State, and nation. We are committed to ensuring that the knowledge we generate provides maximum benefit to society and directly enhances our various communities.