Veterinary Intern in Large Animal Clinical Sciences (Food Animal Emphasis)
The Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Texas A&M University in College Station invites applications for a non-tenure-track Veterinary Intern Instructor (Intern).
The position is a rotating internship with emphasis on food animal medicine and surgery. The intern will spend approximately 70% of their clinical time on duty on the Food Animal Medicine and Surgery rotation. Although the majority of work will be in-house, there will be opportunities for participation in farm calls and production medicine experiences. During the other 30% of clinical time, the intern will rotate through the Equine Internal Medicine rotation. Interns train under the supervision of licensed veterinary specialists who are usually board-certified in a specific discipline of veterinary medicine. Interns are expected to examine, diagnose, treat and manage patients, to interact with clients (animal owners), to teach senior veterinary students, and to generate income for the VMTH.
In addition to performing their duties during regular working hours, interns are also on duty during out-of-hours and holiday periods when the rest of the University is closed. Interns work the hours necessary to provide appropriate care to their animal patients irrespective of the time of day. Emergency duty is shared among the other house officers in the hospital on an equal and rotating basis. Duty assignments are typically made by the hospital service chief in cooperation with the department head.
In addition to regular service rotations, we expect the interns to participate in topic and patient rounds and to prepare and deliver one high quality seminar to colleagues in their academic department. Interns are encouraged to become involved in clinical research as opportunities and interests allow. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to interact with more than 30 large animal faculty and 20 interns and residents in the VMTH.
The intern must meet requirements for full licensure in Texas.These requirements include being either a graduate of College of Veterinary Medicine accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) or having certification by the AVMAâ™s education commission for foreign veterinary graduates (ECFVG) or the program for the assessment of veterinary education equivalence (PAVE). Applicants must have a DVM or equivalent degree.
Texas A&M University is the oldest public institution of higher education in Texas and one of the nationâ™s largest and most dynamic universities. More than 60,000 students are enrolled in the Universityâ™s 10 academic colleges with greater than 8,500 pursuing graduate or professional degrees and about 520 students in the professional veterinary curriculum. Texas A&M University is a major research university with a growing international focus and outstanding public and private support.
Interested candidates should submit a statement of career goals and professional interests, curriculum vitae, and the names of 3 individuals who have been requested by the candidate to provide letters of professional reference. Please submit an application and all necessary documents at the following links:
EXTERNAL APPLICANTS - If you currently are NOT a Texas A&M System employee please click below to go to our external career site to view our jobs. Go to External Career Site â“
Internal Number: R-007467
About Texas A&M University
Texas A&M University is dedicated to the discovery, development, communication, and application of knowledge in a wide range of academic and professional fields. Its mission of providing the highest quality undergraduate and graduate programs is inseparable from its mission of developing new understandings through research and creativity. It prepares students to assume roles in leadership, responsibility, and service to society. Texas A&M assumes as its historic trust the maintenance of freedom of inquiry and an intellectual environment nurturing the human mind and spirit. It welcomes and seeks to serve persons of all racial, ethnic, and geographic groups, women and men alike, as it addresses the needs of an increasingly diverse population and a global economy. In the twenty-first century, Texas A&M University seeks to assume a place of preeminence among public universities while respecting its history and traditions.