Instructional Support Assistant - Non-Invasive Cardiology
Stony Brook University
June 6, 2018
Stony Brook, New York
At Stony Brook Medicine, a TH Instructional Support Assistant is a valuable member of our team, who provides administrative and executive support and has the ability to interface with all levels of management throughout the hospital.
Qualified candidates will demonstrate superior patient care and possess outstanding communication skills while adhering to our high standard of excellence.
Duties of a TH Instructional Support Assistant in the Non-Invasive Cardiology may include the following but are not limited to:
Brief Description of Duties:
- Patient Intake/Insurance Verification: Note patient arrival and indicate in Cerner; determine if Hospital registration is required; have the patient complete all necessary paperwork; photocopy all appropriate insurance documentation; obtain authorization for the patient's test(s).
- Scheduling: Schedule inpatient and outpatient hospital testing; schedule follow-up clinic appointments for patients in Cerner; give patients necessary instructions for their hospital ordered test(s); advise patients on the need for authorization/pre-certification; copy all scripts that are given to the patient; follow-up on "no show" patients.
- Billing: Have patients complete all of the appropriate billing forms; photocopy patient's insurance cards/forms; collect copayments, issue a receipt to the patient and log collections; collect deposits from self-pay patients; obtain referrals and/or authorization in advance of the patient's appointment; post all cash receipts in Cerner and prepare co-pays for pick-up; serve as liaison to the Department of Medicine.
- Administrative: Support secretary functions as it relates to obtaining orders from physicians and respond to inquiries as necessary. Greet patients, answer telephones in assigned area, and assist callers and direct calls as appropriate. Help call response for the department. Provide in-service training for users. Maintain the day-to-day operation of Cerner performance workflow.
- General Clerical Duties: Schedule clinic (new patients and follow-ups) and testing appointments; mail new patient packets; take messages for physicians when necessary. Call patients to confirm their appointment. Ensure timely and complete capture of reports. Faxing, collating and reconciling reports. Maintain all records and patient's files in accordance with hospital and regulatory standards.
- Coverage: Provide coverage for the Heart Institute reception desk and our Hauppauge, Tech Park and
- All other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications: Associates Degree. In lieu of degree, a high school diploma with 2 years of administrative responsibilities in a healthcare setting. Computer, Microsoft Office Suite and Cerner EMR experience. Insurance authorization and patient scheduling experience.
Preferred Qualifications: Cardiology practice experience. Strong customer service, communication, organizational and problem solving skills.
This position will require the selected candidate to work on the weekends, holidays and travel to our Tech Park and Hauppauge offices. The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients' lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of our health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. Stony Brook Medicine is Long Island's premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, we serve as the region's only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and are home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Children's Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. We also encompass Suffolk County's only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation's first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
This function/position has been designated as
Internal Number: 1801491
About Stony Brook University
FROM ITS BEGINNINGS A HALF-CENTURY AGO, STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY HAS BEEN CHARACTERIZED by innovation, energy and progress, transforming the lives of people who earn degrees, work and make groundbreaking discoveries here. A dramatic trajectory of growth has turned what was once a small teacher preparation college into an internationally recognized research institution that is changing the world.