This position is eligible for a sign on bonus for all candidates and for out of state candidates a sign on bonus and relocation bonus.
The UCHealth Eye Center is a comprehensive academic ophthalmology practice serving five locations throughout Metro Denver. Our hub at the Rocky Mountain Lions Eye Institute, part of University of Colorado Hospital on the Anschutz Medical Campus, is one of the largest eye centers in the country. With 50+ faculty providers and 100+ staff, we care for patients from throughout the Rocky Mountain region and around the world.
Position Summary: Ophthalmic Technician
Assists eye care providers in the care of patients and flow of clinical activities. This position requires good understanding of ophthalmic practice and patient care, knowledge of medical instrumentation and its proper care and usage, and an ability to establish safe environment for patients and staff. The ability to effectively communicate with patients, co-workers, faculty and leadership is an essential function as is the need for efficient use of time.
Skills and Abilities
Successful demonstration of required ophthalmic technical skills as assessed by Educator prior to hire and on an ongoing annual basis. Skills required are as follows: Customer Service, Communication, Partnering, Problem-Solving, Change Commission of Allied Health Professionals in Ophthalmology (JCAHPO) required skills for Certified Ophthalmic Assistant (COA) Organizational skills/ time management skills, Computer equipment, ophthalmic medical equipment.
· Demonstrating accountability and commitment to quality and safety standards
· Providing exceptional customer service
· Performs patient monitoring, assessment, and documentation activities.
· Performs diagnostic measurements including but not limited to: IOLMaster, Pentacam, WaveScan, Intralase IFS, LenSx, VISX Star S2 IR and immersion A-scan.
· Providing and distribution of UCHealth-approved patient education materials
· Counsel patients on refractive surgery options
· Counsel patients on IOL options.
· Preparing, maintaining, and proper discard of surgical charts
· Ordering IOLs for surgery
· Maintaining proper humidity and temperatures in the Lasik/Refractive OR
· Coordination of certification of new M. D. users
· Coordination of Visian ICL pre-operative visits, ordering ICL for procedures
· Clean and prep soiled instruments for sterile processing
· General maintenance, cleaning, and upkeep of Lasik Surgical Suite
· Advocates for patient safety and patient rights and actively participates in emergency preparedness activities
· Adhering to all UCHealth Policy and Procedures and helping to stay in compliance with Joint Commission regulations
High School or GED
Ophthalmic Vocational training or completion of 1 year sponsored training on the job.
COA, COT or COMT within one year of hire.
BLS through the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer with card in hand before start date. BLS or CPR card must be good through sixty days of hire. All life support certification cards must be issued by either the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer. (American Red Cross for the Professional Rescuer is only good upon hire and all renewals will need to be through an American Heart Association sanctioned course.)
Ophthalmic Vocational training or completion of 2 year sponsored training on the job
3 years health care-related experience
· Ophthalmic Technician-Cataract and Refractive Surgery experience
· Certified Ophthalmic Technician – Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology preferred
Going beyond quality requires the perfect balance of talent, integrity, drive and intellectual curiosity. We are looking for individuals who recognize, like us, that the world of medicine is ever-changing and are motivated to do what is right, not what is easy. We support creativity and curiosity so that each of us can find the extraordinary qualities within ourselves. At UCHealth, we'll do everything in our power to make sure you grow and have a meaningful career. There's no limits to your potential here.
Be Extraordinary. Join Us Today!
UCHealth recognizes and appreciates the rich array of talents and perspectives that equal employment and diversity can offer our institution. As an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, UCHealth is committed to making all employment decisions based on valid requirements. No applicant shall be discriminated against in any terms, conditions or privileges of employment or otherwise be discriminated against because of the individual's race, creed, color, religion, gender, national origin or ancestry, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, genetic information or veteran status. UCHealth does not discriminate against any "qualified applicant with a disability" as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act and will make reasonable accommodations, when they do not impose an undue hardship on the organization.
With award-winning hospitals and facilities serving the entire Front Range, University of Colorado Health is the state’s largest and most innovative health system. By integrating the strengths of academic medicine with the finest community health care, we’re able to push the boundaries of medicine and offer our employees endless career opportunities. Here, there are no limits, except those you place on yourself. Everyone is united by their passion for discovery and their commitment to improving patients’ lives.