Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
February 23, 2018
North Chicago, Illinois
Higher Education Institution
Job Description Summary The Department of Podiatric Surgery and Applied Biomechanics in the Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science welcome applications for a full-time Surgical Technologist. The University encourages applications from individuals belonging to groups underrepresented in their field and those that can add new and valuable perspectives to the academic environment. The Surgical Technologist is responsible for providing professional instruction in instrumentation and sterile and aseptic techniques following established standards and practices. S/he will instruct podiatric medical students.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities • Provide lecture and workshop instruction to educate students with an emphasis on maintaining sterile technique while in the operating room setting.
• Instruct students on how to prepare and maintain an operating room with the necessary supplies and materials.
• Ensure cleanliness and sterility of the operating room.
• Provide instruction to students on how to participate in surgical cases in the hospital and office settings using proper sterile techniques, post-operative follow-up care and charting.
• Perform other related job duties as assigned or delegated.
• Follow the established ORT format and schedule as outlined and listed in the course syllabus
• The instructor will assess the students in each workshop and provide input to the course coordinator on the performance of students
• 3 years of professional experience as a surgical technologist
• Must achieve background check clearance.
• Minimum of two years of classroom or clinical environment teaching of relevant ORT-related skills.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities • Knowledge of common and potential safety hazards and precautions to establish and maintain a safe work environment.
• Knowledge of sterile techniques, standard operating room procedures and equipment.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite applications.
• Demonstrated skill in applying and modifying the principles, methods and techniques of sterile technique for the student to develop lifelong learning habits.
• Demonstrated skill in identifying problems and recommending solutions (i.e. critical thinking).
• Demonstrated skill in preparing/maintaining records, writing reports and responding to electronic communications.
• Demonstrated skill to multi-task and adapt to changes in student protocol
• Ability to maintain quality control standards.
• Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
• Ability to communicate effectively and accurately.
• Requires standing, walking, bending and sitting for extended periods of time.
• Use of appropriate techniques when instructing students
• Ability to lift 25 lbs, handle stressful situations and respond accordingly.
*An official transcript for the highest degree earned and also the highest clinical degree earned, if different and relevant to the position will be required.
Internal Number: 20111137
About Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, a national leader in Interprofessional medical and healthcare education, is a graduate-level health sciences university situated on an attractive 85-acre campus in North Chicago, Illinois, approximately 40 miles north of the city of Chicago and 50 miles south of Milwaukee. As such, the University benefits from active collaborations with local hospitals, as well as academic institutions in both cities. The campus is shared with the North Chicago VA Medical Center and the Great Lakes Naval Training Center, both of which provide the University with potential research and clinical training resources. Rosalind Franklin University is comprised of five Schools: the Chicago Medical School, College of Health Professions, Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine, the College of Pharmacy and the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. Rosalind Franklin University enrolls approximately 2,000 students per academic year, and is supported by 1650 full and part-time faculty and 415 staff members. Founded in 1912, Rosalind Franklin University has educated more than 17,000 medical and advanced health sciences degree graduates i...n the United States and worldwide. Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science promotes a dynamic learning environment in which qualified individuals of differing perspectives and cultural backgrounds pursue academic goals with mutual respect and shared inquiry. To serve the population through the interprofessional education of health and biomedical professionals and the discovery of knowledge dedicated to improving the wellness of its people. Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities